Anti Sexual & Anti Women Harassment Cell
With regard to the Supreme Court Judgment and guidelines issued in 1997 to provide for the effective enforcement of the basic human right of gender equality and guarantee against sexual harassment and abuse, more particularly against sexual harassment at work places, the University Grants Commission (UGC) has issued circulars since 1998,, to all the universities, advising them to establish a permanent cell and a committee and to develop guidelines to combat sexual harassment, violence against women and ragging at the universities and colleges. It has further advised the universities to be proactive by developing a conducive atmosphere on the campus, where the status of woman is respected and they are treated with. Keeping the above guidelines in view Shanthi College has constituted a Committee Against Sexual Harassment.
Composition of the Committee
|Sl. No.||Name||Designation||Cell No.|
|1||Prof. Puttaswamy||Principal and
|2||Mr. T. Rajanna||Co-ordinator|
|4||Dr. K.M.Jagannath||Member and IQAC co-ordinator||9740130364|
|5||Dr. R.D. Moses||Member|
Objectives of the Committee
The cell constituted would meet the following objectives
- to develop guidelines and norms for a policy against sexual harassment.
- to develop principles and procedures for combating sexual harassment.
- to work out details for the implementation of the policy
- to prepare a detailed plan of actions, both short and long term.
- to organize gender sensitization awareness program.
- Prevent discrimination and sexual harassment against women, by promoting gender amity among students and employees.
- Deal with cases of discrimination and sexual harassment against women, in a time bound manner, aiming at ensuring support services to the victimized and termination of the harassment;
- Recommend appropriate punitive action against the guilty party to the Director.
The following is also sexual harassment and is covered by the committee
- Unsavory remarks,
- Jokes causing or likely to cause awkwardness or embarrassment,
- Innuendos and taunts,
- Gender based insults or sexist remarks,
- Unwelcome sexual overtone in any manner such as over telephone (obnoxious telephone calls) and the like,
- Touching or brushing against any part of the body and the like,
- Displaying pornographic or other offensive or derogatory pictures, cartoons, pamphlets or sayings,
- Forcible physical touch or molestation and
- Physical confinement against one's will and any other act likely to violate one's privacy.
Procedure for Approaching Committee
The Committee deals with issues relating to sexual harassment at Women cell of the college. It is applicable to all students, staff and faculty. A complaint of discrimination or sexual harassment may be lodged by the victim or a third party. A written complaint may be addressed to the Co-ordinator of the Committee. If the complaint is made to the Principal or Management of the college, they may forward it to the Convener of the Committee Against Sexual Harassment.